Thursday, June 25, 2009

The end of the school year

The school year is drawing to a close, and it has crept up rather quickly.

We had planned a day at the local outdoor swimming pool today, but the weather forecast had not been looking good. I woke up this morning and it was already raining. Unfortunately the pool we were going to had no shelter, so I decided to cancel the trip. I spoke to the principal, who said it was up to us to decide. I sopke to some parents - some were OK with it if we shortened the time, others said that their child would not be going if we went. I decided that I wouldn't want my own kids out in this weather for so long without any shelter. We had planned to be at the pool for about four hours and with the steady rain and the breeze the kids would have frozen.

The alternate plan???

I brought a few movies from home and we set up a digital projector in the classroom and we started with "Wallace and Grommett - and the Curse of the Were Rabbit". That lasted until recess. After recess we let the kids double up with a partner in the computer lab, and after lunch we will see what happens. If there is a break in the rain we may walk up to the local shopping centre and buy an icecream or something.

Surviving at the moment.

Tomorrow the students come to school from 9:00 am - 10:30 am. There is an assembly for about 40 minutes and then back to classrooms for the rest of the time. That is when we hand out reports. After that there is a staff meeting followed by lunch provided by the principal. Friday is the last official day at school. We are having a breakfast at a staff member's house starting at 8:30 am. I am told that some people may go to school afterwards, others may not. I will see what happens. I don't think I will need to go to school.

Bridget and Daniel were both going to school today to get their reports. Bridget had her last exam yesterday, and Daniel has been finished for over a week.

Summer break is almost officially here. Yeah!

No comments: