Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fort Langley

After the cruise around the harbour we decided to head out to Fort Langley again. We had all been earlier in the year when we had gone with my class. It was different going without the class because I didn't have to be constantly monitoring who was where, and their behaviour, the entire time. We were able to browse around the fort in our own time, and this time had time to read about some of the exhibits and displays. When I came with my class we had several stations that we had to visit during our time at the fort. It was a good way to get a class involved, but I appreciated the chance to come back and take in the things that I had missed.

Fort Langley was built by the Hudson Bay Company as a trading post. It houses one of the oldest standing buildings in BC, and is the place where BC was proclaimed a Province. There are docents here that act their part and bring the venue and builings to life. They explian about life in the pioneer times, demonstrate the various crafts and jobs associated with the times including blacksmith and cooperage.

No comments: