Monday, October 26, 2009

Driver's licence

If you are resident in BC for more than 90 days you must get a driver's licence. They will not accept an International licence after the 90 days.

Well, I finally got my driver's licence. I had to wait about six weeks from the time that I passed the Knowledge Test. That was a bit stressful - having to get 80% of the test correct to pass. This was done on the computer, at $15 a sitting.

On the day of the test I had an appointment at 8:30 am. It was pouring rain. The tester said that he wasn't there to test my driving ability, as he said that he knew that I could drive because I had held a licence for over 30 years. He said he was looking to check to see if I knew the BC laws and to see whether I had brought any bad habits with me.

We went out to the car and he checked all the lights and indicators. He then said that he would not do any talking, except to give instructions for turning, and where to go. He took me through every type of speed zone - around a school, a playground, shopping district and in the highway, before telling me we were heading back to the testing centre. We sat in the car for a bit while he discussed a few points, and then he said that I had passed, and that we had better go inside to get my licence. I paid $50 and collected my Victorian licence before breathing a sigh of relief and heading for school. I was back in class by 9:30 am.

No comments: