Thursday, January 1, 2009

First day exploring

December 29, 2008

I woke at about 6:00am went and had a drink and thought, “ I’ve only had about 6 hours sleep. I went and lay down again wondering whether I would fall asleep or not, only to be woken up at about 12:30pm by a guy asking if I was Mark. It was the young guy from downstairs – Nigel.

Nigel moved in about a week ago. His family live up on the Sunshine Coast which is northwest of Vancouver. You have to catch a ferry from Horseshoe Bay and then dive up the coast. He is about to start an Automotive apprenticeship course at Vancouver Institute of Technology in Barnaby. He said that something had happened to the wireless network connection. I didn’t realize that there was a wireless router on the connection here and had unplugged the Ethernet cable last night so that I could connect to “The Net”. Anyway he reset the connection and said he was heading out shortly.

I got a lift with him to Westview Village, which is a kms away. I started to walk back home after having a look at some shops but it was too much like hard work in the snow. I decided t jump on a bus which was heading for Lonsdale Quay $2:50 for a 90 minute ticket or $9 all day, which includes the Sea Bus and the Sky Bus. The Sea Bus goes across the harbour area to the main railway station, which is just near Water Street and the Gastown area and the Canada Centre where the Ocean liners dock. There were white caps on the waves in the harbour and the captain said that there was a gale blowing outside. It wasn’t a bad ride over though.

I had a bit of a walk around the Canada Centre, some shops and then down to the Gas clock area. It was quite chilly in the breeze, in fact bloody cold! I then caught the Sea Bus back. I had a bit of a walk around the Quay Market and then tried to work out which would be the best bus to get back home. I caught one to Edgemont Village, which is where Melodie and Mario suggested to open a bank account. The village looked nice with the snow everywhere and the Christmas lights. I walked through the village and then found the bus stop interchange. I was waiting there for about an hour for the bus that would get me closest to home. The closest I could get took me up Capilano towards Grouse Mountain. It must be about a 1 – 2 km walk up hill. Yesterday afternoon I walked around this area and it wasn’t too bad, but tonight it was like hard work. The temperature is lower and where the snow, which was melting has frozen and made the roads slippery. It was uphill nearly all the way. It was safer to walk on the crunching snow at the edge of the road than on the road. When I finally got to the house I had to carefully slide down the driveway. Glad to get back home.

No comments: