Thursday, January 1, 2009

Leaving Australia

Paula and Daniel drove me to the airport. We left Geelong at about 8:00am and arrived at Tullamarine just after 9:00am.

Flight NZ 0124 left Melbourne at 11:35 am on December 28, 2008. It was 29° C and I was sweating. I had just had to repack my bags. The personal allowance for luggage to North America is 2 bags, which total 46kg, and neither being heavier than 32kg. Carry on baggage is 1 bag not weighing more than 7kg. I was also carrying a backpack, which contained my laptop computer and a camera bag with a video camera. The big bags were just OK, but the carry-on was too heavy. The check-in attendant suggested putting some of the stuff from the carry-on into the bigger bags. After shuffling some items around she allowed me through with a note attached to the carry-on bag that it was 10kg, but to let it through.

Going through into the customs area the bag was again questioned, but finally allowed through. I turned around at one stage and caught sight of my nephew Tom, who is off to Thailand for a holiday. I also remembered to claim the GST from the items that I had bought. I looked through the Duty Free store and tried to buy some alcohol. I was advised that because I was transiting in NZ that I would not be able to buy it in Australia, and that I should wait until I got to NZ.

Seat 41C was on the aisle. I was on an NZ airlines, 747-400 and as I seated myself and looked around I noticed that each seat had a personal media screen in the back of the seat in front. There was also a remote handset in the arm of the seat. There was a choice of movies, music, or documentaries. I chose to check out the movies and watched “How to lose friends and Alienate People”.

The service started with a drink of water followed shortly after by a light meal. I had a ham and cheese toasted sandwich with coleslaw, ice-cream and a Sauvignon Blanc. This was followed by a black coffee. Towards the end of this movie they came around again offering drinks and I had a straight Jim Beam.

After the first movie I watched another - Babylon A.D. with Vin Diesel. There must have only been 5 or so minutes to go when it was turned off because we were coming in to land. I might be able to watch the end on the next leg.

I am currently in Auckland airport after having purchased my bottle of Jim Beam, some video tapes and batteries duty free. We have a three hour break here.

On the plane I thought that I recognised on of the other Victorian ITF teachers. I spoke to her in Auckland. Her name is Fiona. She and her husband and three children are off to Winnipeg for the year. She will be teaching secondary Art.

At the airport they have been making announcements for the last 20 minutes for the remaining passengers for a flight to go to their gate for take-off.

“…….Your aircraft is waiting to depart and all other passengers are waiting for you!!”
There were originally 10 they were waiting on, after 15 minutes they are down to 5.
They just made another call and named them all. As well as the public address system announcements there are airport attendants going through the airport calling out for those passengers.

The view from the airport lounge is relaxing. I am looking out past the airport, over the shimmering water to the nearby hills and islands. The sun shining on the water makes a great view.

No comments: