Sunday, January 25, 2009

Fog in the valley

There has been a layer of fog over Vancouver for a few days. There is no wind and the temperatures are low. We are high enough up Grouse Mountain to be above the fog and look down at the blanket over the city. Sometimes you can see the tops of the tallest buildings peeking through like a periscope.

I decided that see that it was sunny I would take a walk around the local streets and up to the Grouse Mountain Skyride. It was pretty cold, but clear and sunny, and it wasn't long before I was feeling comfortable in jeans and t-shirt, and with a backpack on. I took some nice photos of the area. There is a park nearby that has a soccer field, baseball field, and several tennis courts. All it is being used for at the moment is as a toboggan run. The whole area is covered in about 30 cm of crusty, icy snow. It begins to melt a bit each day and then frezzes again each night.

I got back home and organised to drive to Bruce and Patty's for dinner. There I met their son David, who works at the University of British Columbia. We had a chilli dinner with salad, and wild berries and cake desert. They were going to go to the FIS World Cup event at Whistler the next day and asked if I wanted to join them. I left at about 9:30 pm for the hour long drive home in the fog. They live in Langley, which is about 65 km away and very close to the "Truck Crossing" at the US border.

No comments: