Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A visit to Allen Elementary

On Sunday I went with Patty to Allen to have a look around at the school and the renovations. Pretty much everything has changed. The Library is now in the old gym, they have built a brand new wing with a gym, stage and music/band room, and a new canteen and eating area. The office an staff rooms have moved and everything is updated. It looks great.

In the classrooms they all have data projectors, document cameras (or visualisers), pull down screens, and a sound system with a teacher clip on wireless microphone and another wireless one to be used by students. There are also 3 interactive SmartBoards in the school. They are planning to introduce more.

After leaving Allen I went up to Eagle Drive and pulled up in front of the house we lived in for 2001. Across the road I saw a figure in a dressing gown walking to the post box to get the newspaper. I walked over towards him and recognized Father Richards. I introduced myself and he asked, “How are Paula and Bridget and Daniel?” He remembered all your names. He also remembered that Paula’s sister had been sick. He said the Carol and Terry were only back now every second weekend, and that Carol had taken a year off teaching and they were now living most of their time in Winthrop.

On the way back to BC I called in to see Lou Spane but there was no one home. I left a note and said we would catch up during the year.

Instead of using the main highway crossing into Canada I turned off at Bellingham and headed for Lynden. There was only one car in front of me at the border. Straight through and heading for home.

No comments: