Sunday, January 25, 2009

First week at school

Things started to get busy once school started. Class are pretty good. Have all their names pretty quickly. It is the staff that I am having trouble with. I have to pretty quickly work out where the kids are up to in all subject areas, and what direction we will take .

Chauffeured Nigel to Uni and a party during this week. Kelly-Erin one of the other Grade 4 teachers came and picked up the cat on Wednesday. She works 3 days a week. The other grade 4 class is shared by 3 teachers. Anyway on Friday she reported that it was settling in well. I am glad after having to wash my entire bedding twice in 3 days. It had been too cold and snowy to leave it outside all day.

I also went to LAN (Learning at Night) party. This was at Sutherland High School which is the closest high school to Eastview. Each hish school has several feeder elementary schools. It turns out that the LAN parties are one of the ways the district's is trying to PD staff in technology. There were three breakout sessions, link to the sessions (each of which had a Skype session with an educator from around the globe. One was from Australia, one from Sakatchewan and the other from the US. We came back to a dinner of pizza, juices and fruit. We then went into discussion groups to give feedback on the sessions that we went to and come up with strategies for our own schools. No-one else from my school attended, but I did meet some of the main tech people in the district. I now have my laptop connected to the school network and printers. It's not what you know ......

No comments: