Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Problems in the snow

When I got home I could see that there had been about 30 cm of snow overnight. I spent an hour or so digging out a path up the drive and to create a space to park the car on the road. Impossible to get it into the driveway, and even if I could, it would be impossible to get it out. Most people who have any slope on their driveway are choosing to park on the road. While I was digging it began to snow again and it just seemed to be getting heavier. I gave up and went inside.

At about 8:00pm I got a call from Nigel, the guy from downstairs. He had finished work on Mt Seymour and was heading home, but could not get his car up the mountain to where we are. The roads were covered in snow and the buses had stopped running. He asked if I would pick he and Woody up and that they would wait at the 711 on Lonsdale. I put on my boots and coat and wondered if I was going to be able to get down the mountain in one piece, and if I did would I be able to get back. People were abandoning their cars and walking up the mountain. I was trying to avoid any banked up snow. I got to the 711 and nearly got stuck in their carpark. No sign of Nigel or Woody. I drove around several blocks and came back. I didn’t have Nigel’s number so I couldn’t call him, so I left to go home.

When I got home I needed to shovel some more snow along the pathways and where I was going to park the car. Nigel rang again and said that he had moved his car and parked at a 24 hour service station. Back again about 5 km to find him. We were just about back home and his mate Woody rang. He had been trying to get back home for about 6 hours. We turned back around an went to get him. All this time it was still snowing.

No comments: